Viking River Cruises Australia Pty Ltd (Viking) is committed to protecting your privacy when you purchase our products and services and when you use our website.
- the kind of information Viking may collect about you, how we collect it, and how we use it
- how we may disclose that information
- how you can access the information we hold about you
- when we may use your information to contact you
- the protection of your personal information
Viking will review this policy regularly, and may update it from time to time. If we make changes, we will post those changes on the privacy page of Viking’s website.
2. Collection and Use of Personal Information
2.1 Why We Collect Personal Information
Viking collects personal information about you:
- because we need it to provide a product or service that you have requested, for example, if you have requested information from the Viking website, or agreed to participate in a river cruise with Viking;
- because you work for us, or apply to us for a job or work experience.
2.2 How We Collect Information
Broadly, there are two types of information or data we collect:
Information that you specifically give us
For example, you may provide information about yourself when you are filling in a form. This type of information may include your home address, business address, telephone number, business telephone number, email address and date of birth. The information that you give us may be:
- Personal information that is required. In some instances, you must provide personal information if you wish to use a particular service or participate in an activity. For example, Viking does not sell products to people under the age of 18 years.
- Personal information that is optional. You may choose to provide some personal information which is not required but is directly related to Viking’s functions or activities. Usually this type of information will enable Viking to improve or broaden the services we can offer you. If you choose not to provide this optional information, we would still be able to offer you the service, but perhaps with fewer options than if you had provided the optional information. For example, if you tell us you are interested in a particular destination, we may be able to provide you with specific Viking content that matches your interests. If you provide us with unsolicited information that we do not require or which is not directly related to Viking’s functions or activities, Viking may be required to destroy or de-identify that information, provided it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
- Permissions. Sometimes you will be asked to confirm that you agree to a particular activity. For example, you may need to expressly agree that you would like to receive a newsletter or to confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions of a competition.
You may be able to make changes to the information you provided us (for example, if you change your email address) or withdraw the permission you gave us for a particular service. We will make it clear how you do that.
Data we collect that tracks your activity
We use an email delivery and marketing company to send emails to you. Pixel tags and cookies are used in those email messages and at our website to help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing and how visitors use our site.
Pixel tags (sometimes also called “clear GIFs”) are small graphic files, invisible to the human eye, which allow websites or other online services to track users. Viking and our third-party advertising company uses pixel tags in HTML-enabled emails to track whether (and when) you opened our message.
The data on your use of our site may be linked to personal information you have chosen to share with us when you register. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. However, you can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies or prompt you before accepting a cookie from the sites you visit.
If you decide not to accept our cookies, your ability to use some features on our site may be impaired. Certain visitors to our site may have previously received targeted promotional materials relative to the site. Viking may share site usage information about such visitors with reputable third parties for the purpose of targeting future campaigns and upgrading visitor information used in reporting statistics. Although our marketing company logs the information coming from our site on our behalf, we control how that data may and may not be used.
Our website does not collect personally identifiable information about individuals except when such individuals specifically provide such information on a voluntary basis, such as when registering at our website, requesting a brochure or video, or accessing our "request a reservation" or "book now" feature.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information
3.1 Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Viking may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- to provide the service you wish to use;
- to customise and promote Viking services which may be of interest to you;
- to provide technical support to you to use Viking’s services;
- if permitted or required by law; or
- otherwise with your consent.
In many cases, Viking imposes contractual restrictions equivalent to those imposed on Viking under the Privacy Act in respect of collection and use of personal information by those third parties. In some cases, Viking’s ability to impose contractual restrictions is limited. In those circumstances, Viking will carefully consider the risks to the protection of personal information when entering into arrangements with third parties.
These third parties may be located in Australia or overseas.
We may share your email address and home address with third parties to deliver brochures, videos, information about cruise promotions, news and other information about our website, products, services or special promotions on our behalf.
Viking may also disclose your personal information (excluding sensitive information about you) to third parties for the purposes of direct marketing Viking’s services including brochures, videos, information about cruise promotions, news and other information about our website, products, services or special promotions.
You will be able to opt-out of direct marketing at any time if you so choose.
Under no circumstances will Viking sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
4. Accessing Your Personal Information
You have the right to request access to personal information that is held by Viking about you.
You also have the right to request the correction of any of your personal information that Viking holds. Viking will take reasonable steps to make appropriate corrections to personal information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To seek access to, or correction of, your personal information please contact Viking as follows:
5. Use of Your Personal Information to Contact You
We will never knowingly send you unsolicited commercial electronic messages. More information on the Spam Act 2003 is available from the regulator’s website: www.acma.gov.au/spam
We may use information that we know about your likes and interests to tell you about other Viking programs, products and services. We may know about your likes and interests because you have provided that information.
6. Protection of Your Personal Information
Viking has implemented appropriate physical, electronic and managerial security procedures in order to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. Viking regularly reviews security and encryption technologies and will strive to protect information to the fullest extent possible.
We encourage you to be vigilant about the protection of your own personal information when using third party digital services.
7. Credit Card Information
Crucially, your credit card details are only stored and transmitted in encrypted form. Unencrypted credit card information is NOT stored on our internet servers. Online credit card payments are currently processed using a third party payment gateway service run by...
If you use your credit card and the transaction is manual rather than electronic, the imprinted record will be stored by Viking for the period that financial records are required to be retained.
8. Offline Purchases
If you do not wish to place your order on the internet, we offer you the option of phoning, faxing or mailing in your order.
9. Privacy and Change of Control
In the event Viking goes through a business transition, such as a merger, being acquired by another company, or selling a portion of its assets, users’ personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
10. Linked Sites